Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» [MONTHLY THEME] May: Make Space for Space~Due May 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Wed May 01, 2024 5:28 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:29 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] April: Reach as High as You Can~Due April 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:36 pm

» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Uniqflame Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] January: Bittersweet Chocolate~Due January 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 am

» ✾ Faeri's Covers ✾
by FaeriMagic Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:22 pm

Help for a noobie?

+3
Mitsu
SlashEX
pixi
7 posters

Go down

Help for a noobie? Empty Help for a noobie?

Post by pixi Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Hello! I have always wanted to do covers and such stuff, but I don't even really know what to do. I'd really like to know the basics of how to cover songs and such, tutorials, or good mics and programs. Oh, and recording and mixing help would be much appreciated. My budget as of now is a few hundred, but I'm sure I can cough up a bit extra.
pixi
pixi

Singing Alias : pixi Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Help for a noobie? Empty Re: Help for a noobie?

Post by SlashEX Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:18 pm

Well there is a thread explaining a bit on how to mix in the recording/mixing section.
You can use Audacity or Adobe Audition for recording but I can't help you with mics because I don't even have one (I use the headset mic)
SlashEX
SlashEX
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Singing Alias : XSlash Posts : 137

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitsu Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Well, I'd use the Blue Snowball mic.
It's used by many fandubbers and is only 60-100 dollars depending on which model! It is claimed to be the world's first professional USB mic (which is basically a mic with a USB drive to plug directly into your computer). This mic is a condenser, not a dynamic. They are sensitive to loud sounds.
As for a mixing software, I use Audacity, only because it is super easy to use, there are tons of tricks on improving sound quality online, and best of all, it's free!

(I don't have a microphone so don't ask me about the Blue Snowball mic. You can check on their website for more info, though.)
Mitsu
Mitsu
Conversationalist

Singing Alias : mitsu Posts : 198

https://www.youtube.com/user/xRaemii?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeagerjacques Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:55 am

Lol, first of all, choose a song. xD jkjk

IMO, you don't need to start off with an expensive microphone. I know many good fandubbers who just use headset mics and they sound amazing. Well, what I'm saying is, if you're not sure you're gonna stick to this hobby for a while, don't buy something expensive first.

As much as condenser microphones are preferred when recording, you have to consider where you're recording too. Condenser microphones record better but pick up everything, so if you're living or recording in a noisy place, you'll have a hard time. Dynamic mics tend to just get the voice and are more for on the go things, so if you live/record somewhere a little noisy, this'll do a better job.

With a few hundred you have a lot of choices already! :D

For mixing, well audacity is free but I don't like it haha xD I just use it for recording. I use audition. :D

tl;dr but I hope I helped somehow! :'D
Jeagerjacques
Jeagerjacques
Talkative

Singing Alias : IZA★ Posts : 348

http://honeystars.blog131.fc2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kou Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Audacity is a lot easier and simpler to use, but it brings down the quality of my mic, for me. u v u
I'd recommend you with Mixcraft, it's free, but a bit harder to navigate and try to figure things out. You can use Mixcraft and have it block out background noises for you if you do buy a condenser mic. I know this, because I have a Blue Microphones Snowball iCE mic. ∩( ・ω・)∩
Most of everything that goes on/is said outside of my room can be filtered out. Even the instrumental/karaoke that I'm singing along to, if it's at the regular what-i-normally-listen-to volume.
Kou
Kou

Singing Alias : Kou / こう Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr0ctober Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 pm

If you got the money, spend it on a lesson. Improving the voice does a hell lot more than getting a more expensive mic. All a good mic is going to do at this point is show how good or bad you really are, just with clearer clarity.

Not to mention it takes more than just a mic. Ya need a good sound card, or something to bypass it, good headphones since those ibuds aren't going to cut it, knowledge about mixing, etc.

But the one thing you do need in the end, is a good voice.
So practice before you get ahead of yourself. This goes for all you newbies, not just you.
Mr0ctober
Mr0ctober
Talking Fruit/Vegetable

Back to top Go down

Post by krannda Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Well, even average singers can still sound great as long as the mixing is good in my opinion. I mean some people can use tuning to make off people sound great and effects can cover up some small flaws in the vocals. Additionally, if you know how to compress and equalize vocals properly, microphones can be fixed.

As a beginner, there's no need to get waaay into that stuff just yet because there's no guarantee that you will be staying for a while. Just come out with a few covers or so, and once you begin to realize that you're getting a little bit more serious about it, that's when you start investing and learning. Let your interest grow first. That's the best way to start.

But in my opinion anyway, I don't like the Blue Snowball mic because it tends to give a hollow sound which I find hard to mix. I've had experience mixing 3 Snowballs all in one chorus and it was terrible. I had to do a lot of tweaking to make sure their quality was on par with the others in the chorus. My reccommendations for starter microphones would be the AT2020 and the Blue Yeti. Samson gives a little too much bass. However, before you choose to buy any of these mics, be sure to check out their qualities by listening to some demos of them. There are some comparison videos on YouTube.

To start off, yes, Audacity would be good but that does have quite a number of limitations in that because it's a free software, it can't do as much as programs such as Adobe Audition or Mixcraft. However, it's good as a foundation in the basics of mixing. There should be quite a number of tutorials on YouTube on how to use aspects of it.

Just remember to take it step by step.
Good luck! ^_^
krannda
krannda
I'm still alive?

Singing Alias : kran Posts : 1244

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

https://www.youtube.com/user/fxsynth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum