Youtube Chorus Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NEWS
Working on updating the site and adding new features.
Join our Discord channel to talk about possible events and layout changes!
Latest topics
» [MONTHLY THEME] May: Make Space for Space~Due May 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Wed May 01, 2024 5:28 pm

» Joker's Trans-lyrics
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:29 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] April: Reach as High as You Can~Due April 30th
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] March: Old Stuff~Due March 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:36 pm

» fluffy's pudding stash- i mean covers.
by fluffyparuko Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] February: Love in the Air~Due March 5th
by sonic-nancy-fan Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm

» ~Uniqflame Covers and Voice acting stuff~
by Uniqflame Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:08 pm

» [MONTHLY THEME] January: Bittersweet Chocolate~Due January 31st
by sonic-nancy-fan Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:46 am

» ✾ Faeri's Covers ✾
by FaeriMagic Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:22 pm

Roleplay Guidelines and Suggestions Thread

+9
YTChorus
mewmew123
krannda
[★] Winter
Roka
Panchii
SekiHime
Xephy
KentaMidorin
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Roleplay Guidelines and Suggestions Thread Empty Roleplay Guidelines and Suggestions Thread

Post by KentaMidorin Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:48 am

Roleplay Guidelines and Suggestions Thread SVUPYTt
Hey there guys, Kenta here~ As my first job here as a Forum Helper, I'll introduce to you something new but not entirely foreign to some people. The concept of ROLE PLAYING.

What is roleplaying?
Roleplaying, as the name suggests, is when you act or perform as a certain character and interact with others. Commonly done in the form of narrative or dialogue-type RPs, it's one way to show your writing or characterization abilities. Forum roleplay isn't a new thing really. It's being done all over and based on different stories, characters, and forum systems.

Why here on YTC?

Well, as some people who have suggested this, myself included, have noticed, some people here at the forums are prone to jumping into roleplays~ It's especially apparent in the Games section where people act out wars (Girls' & Guys' Topic), try to catch or steal from each other (Last Person to Post Here Wins), or maybe even act like totally different people all together.

This is also an effort to boost activity and give people something to write about.

What can we post here?

Generally, we can make role play topics here~ To keep things uniform, you can create topics which have the following elements in the first post:

Summary / Synopsis:
Try to tell people what has happened so far. Some RP's don't need this, but serious narrative ones should have this.
Setting: Where is this taking place?
Character: Do you have your own character? Act as Yourself?
List of Those Participating: List down all those who have joined. Link or write down the profiles of the characters involved (especially NPCs, who have no person who owns them). Some RPs don't need this, but serious narrative ones should have this.
Rules: It's important to have rules in the RP. This applies to ALL posts in that thread. From things like "you cannot use magic" or "keep things"
...among other rules. some people often ask their other players to say where they are at the moment they post.

Here are some general rules to follow:
> If you create a topic, you are responsible to keep things going. You can't just create and RP topic and make the others run it for you. You can ask for help sure, but you have to keep it going as long as you can. :D People are interacting with you, so they expect something from you.
> For every RP you make, create and [OFFTOPIC] / [OOC] thread. This thread will house all other discussions with other people about how the story should go. This Off-Topic / Out-Of-character Thread should have a link to the RP thread and vice versa, just in case on of them is pushed off the first page. You can create them in the Off-Topic Forum~ :D
> Please keep things below PG-13. This is a site anyone can view, so keep it safe from the kids out there.
> Try to keep your grammar good, and not use shortcuts. This way, people can understand.
> NO GOD MODDING. God modding is when you force someone or someone's character into a situation you did not ask permission from. Like putting them in a cage and such.
> Be polite. No one likes a bossy roleplayer.
> In RPing, keep ontopic and offtopic things separate. A common way to do this is to put off topic in (( double parenthesis )) or [ brackets ]. Here's an example:

"Huh?",the elf says as he looks back. A monster was behind him, and it was WAY larger than the last one. "I'm screwed..."

(( LOL THIS IS FUNNY. I LIKE TORTURING MY OCs =v= ))
> Try to be consistent with your posts. Preferably, write in the style you're more comfortable with. If the topic starter wants you to RP in a narrative form (like a novel) or dialogue script form (like the normal posts we do here in YTC), follow them~
> Keep all posts related to the RP.
> Avoid posting only an off-topic sentence in your post. A post made entirely of something off-topic and not on-topic aka within the RP is discouraged.

What's the difference between this and the games forum?

This one is much more structured, and focused more on creating a story. Try as much as possible to follow the story and not be so random, and try to keep things going.

Can we make a not so serious / alternate universe RP topic?

Sure! Things like that can be considered an in universe type of RP, where the forum users, that's you, portray themselves in that environment. Some examples I can think up include a YTC Maid Cafe topic, a YTC Item Shop, Buy Your Singing Implements Here! or YTC Restaurant~ Cooks and Waiters, Help me out!

Can we make our own Original Characters?

Sure~ I'm familiar with those. If there are enough people who want it, I can make a separate thread here with which you can post your RP characters for everyone's reference! :D

------

This is basically a test run on how RPing can take place here in YTC~ If ever you're interested, have any suggestions and what not, leave a comment here or note me~ We're trying to make this system work for us, so we can all enjoy ourselves!  Roleplay Guidelines and Suggestions Thread 641784

Last edited by KentaMidorin on Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:57 am; edited 3 times in total
KentaMidorin
KentaMidorin
Retired Staff

Singing Alias : ケンタ / 緑n Posts : 2610

My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/kentamidorin

Back to top Go down

Roleplay Guidelines and Suggestions Thread Empty Re: Roleplay Guidelines and Suggestions Thread

Post by Xephy Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:52 pm

I AM EXCITED OVER THIS! *shot*
But don't you think it'd also be useful to put a "minimum number of words" thing so that a thread doesn't unexpectedly end or turn awkward?
Xephy
Xephy
Background Character
Background Character

Singing Alias : Xephy Posts : 2592

My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/Xephy13

Back to top Go down

Roleplay Guidelines and Suggestions Thread Empty Re: Roleplay Guidelines and Suggestions Thread

Post by SekiHime Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:25 am

Wow sounds fun Hyper
SekiHime
SekiHime

Singing Alias : Sekime, Seki-Hime Posts : 29

https://www.youtube.com/user/sekihime2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Panchii Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:19 am

Roleplay!!!

*dies of happiness*
Panchii
Panchii
Conversationalist

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1

Back to top Go down

Post by KentaMidorin Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:09 am

Xephy wrote:
But don't you think it'd also be useful to put a "minimum number of words" thing so that a thread doesn't unexpectedly end or turn awkward?

Actually, that's a good idea! Happiness We should add that.

At least there are some people interested. We'll probably start a trial RP a few days from now, so any input from everyone would be helpful! Happy
KentaMidorin
KentaMidorin
Retired Staff

My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:27 am

YESS RP is da bomb. *w*

@Xephy: A minimum number of words could put beginners off though. o-o Maybe we could just put something like, RPers must have at least an on-topic sentence?

Back to top Go down

Post by KentaMidorin Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:13 am

tsukinaka wrote:@Xephy: A minimum number of words could put beginners off though. o-o Maybe we could just put something like, RPers must have at least an on-topic sentence?

Now this, I like. It prevents spam. Happiness
KentaMidorin
KentaMidorin
Retired Staff

My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by Panchii Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:57 am

I don't remember reading about it above but feel free to shoot me numerous times if you did Kenta xD

Will this be turn based?
Panchii
Panchii
Conversationalist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roka Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:58 am

What I thought of the "minimum number of words rule":
-> He waved.
~Those two words won't really progress the RP, so RPers should at least try to make a sentence that people can build on.

Oh, and depending on the level of RPers, there can be a minimum number of sentences (like at least two sentences per post, or, for advanced people, at least one or two paragraphs per post; and for beginners, there's no minimum [or something like that]).

That's just me trying contribute xD

@Panchii
Umm.. yeah, I think it is?
Roka
Roka
Spambot Xtreme

Singing Alias : ろか Posts : 5118
Post Spammer Winner Sakura No Ame Chorus Dango Daikazoku Chorus My YTC Story Tako Luka Maguro Fever Event Participant Monthly Theme Participant (1/4)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:01 am

@Roka: That's good. I support. 8D

@Panchii: I think one of the basic RP rules is that no double-posting is allowed. =w=)b So yeah, it is turn-based.

Back to top Go down

Post by Panchii Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:05 am

Oh! I didn't mean like double posting, I meant will a specific posting order be set up, depending of course on the type of roleplay it is. Sorry if I wasn't clear xD

I like the idea of having different levels of posting depending on your experience. It can definitely be daunting if you've never done it or aren't yet confident as a writer, but similarly people that post end liners should have to go back and put a move-onable line in xD.
Panchii
Panchii
Conversationalist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roka Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:13 am

Ahh.. In that case, I don't think it's turn-based because ... well.... (gah i don't know how to explain it 8D; )
If it's not turn-based, then you don't have to wait for one person to post (but don't go too far ahead in the RP xD).

^^ The one liners and stuff was a rule in the two RP forums I was in, so I just wanted to see if people would agree with it too xD;
Roka
Roka
Spambot Xtreme

Singing Alias : ろか Posts : 5118
Post Spammer Winner Sakura No Ame Chorus Dango Daikazoku Chorus My YTC Story Tako Luka Maguro Fever Event Participant Monthly Theme Participant (1/4)

Back to top Go down

Post by [★] Winter Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:24 am

If there's role-plays, can there be chat-plays as well?
Short question is short. . .
[★] Winter
[★] Winter
iPost'a'Lot

Singing Alias : Posts : 3007

Dango Daikazoku Chorus My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by Panchii Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:24 am

I suppose turn rules is something that could be unique to each roleplay right? I have some ideas for RPs but there are specific things like turns that would have to be worked out.

Whee this shall be fun indeed ^^
Panchii
Panchii
Conversationalist

Back to top Go down

Post by krannda Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:36 am

[★] Winter wrote:If there's role-plays, can there be chat-plays as well?
Short question is short. . .

Wouldn't that be like spam already?
krannda
krannda
I'm still alive?

Singing Alias : kran Posts : 1244

My YTC Story CB (1) Round 1 CB (1) Round 2 CB (1) Round 3

https://www.youtube.com/user/fxsynth

Back to top Go down

Post by [★] Winter Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:47 am

^
T-T-True. . .

/hides under a rock/
I'msorryI'mstupid,Kran. . .
/skuttles away/
[★] Winter
[★] Winter
iPost'a'Lot

Singing Alias : Posts : 3007

Dango Daikazoku Chorus My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by KentaMidorin Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Let's try to avoid the one-liners if we can. As for turn-based (where players have to post after a certain person), it depends on the RP thread, I guess. Happy

Some RP threads I've seen before have systems of posting. For example, one I joined before required people to post within a week to advance their story. At the start of every week, the RP Master makes an event, and it's up to the people to react to it or not. It's like collaborating on writing a story. Smile
KentaMidorin
KentaMidorin
Retired Staff

My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Oh I have something. [I think it's really basic though ^^;;] There could be two sub-threads for each RP, one the off-topic thread and one the on-topic. RPers should keep the frequency of off-topic messages as low as possible in the official roleplaying thread.

While the off-topic thread, well, can be off-topic, whether it's discussion about the plot or other stuff. =w=)b And new people can sign up their characters there too.

Just something from where I used to RP.

Back to top Go down

Post by KentaMidorin Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:01 pm

Good idea, Naka. We had a similar system for off-topic but related discussion~ That can be done! :D
KentaMidorin
KentaMidorin
Retired Staff

My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by mewmew123 Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:11 am

Yay rp! Something that I do everyday xD
mewmew123
mewmew123
Fresh off the Boat

Singing Alias : 金 (kim) / mew Posts : 3

https://www.youtube.com/kimjamesxo

Back to top Go down

Post by Xephy Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:30 pm

The off-topic on-topic thing Naka suggested is a really good idea. The Vacation RP has some...confusions I think and some of the posts are only messages to others. An off-topic thread would be nice to tell others how the RP is going.
Xephy
Xephy
Background Character
Background Character

Singing Alias : Xephy Posts : 2592

My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/Xephy13

Back to top Go down

Post by KentaMidorin Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:21 am

Posted an update in the guideline rules, which are indicated by the color red. I also started OFFTOPIC discussions for both the Holiday RP and Vocaloid High RP. I also editted the first posts of both RPs to link back to the OFFTOPIC RP (sorry about that, RP masters Shocked).

Please do use them well. Happiness
KentaMidorin
KentaMidorin
Retired Staff

My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by YTChorus Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:04 am

Made a forum for off-topic discussions :3

-Kran
YTChorus
YTChorus
Administrator

https://www.youtube.com/user/YTChorus

Back to top Go down

Post by ~AutumnZephyr~ Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:08 am

Tomeshi loves how Kran posts that there is an off topic forum after Kenta posts there are threads in said forum X3

Btw, Tomehi will help the helpers.. (or try to unofficiaslly) :The Tale of 2 Lovers doesnt need an off topic...
~AutumnZephyr~
~AutumnZephyr~
Spambot Xtreme

Singing Alias : とめし Posts : 4174

My YTC Story

https://www.youtube.com/user/ShadowSentry

Back to top Go down

Post by KentaMidorin Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:55 pm

YTChorus wrote:Made a forum for off-topic discussions :3

-Kran

Thank you, kran. Now things are more organized. Happiness
KentaMidorin
KentaMidorin
Retired Staff

My YTC Story

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next